CATEGORY MANAGEMENT IN PROCUREMENT
This course introduces the new approach that maximizes value from procurement by combining traditional techniques, with newer tools, techniques and approaches. This course will provide you an understanding of the Category Management methodology with the necessary working knowledge of how this approach can be used in World Class companies.
Category management was first used in the retail industry to management inventory based on profitability and customer segmentation. Now in the other industries, category management is valued as a tool to organize and effectively manage suppliers and the products through application of different principles in the acquisition of inventory.
- Apply a thorough understanding of category management in procurement.
- Identify, analyze and evaluate procurement opportunities.
- Understand the keys aspects in category management.
- Use tools and techniques to improve organization’s competitiveness.
- Apply the knowledge in procurement and supply chain in organizational improvements.
Understanding Procurement and Category Management
- Procurement and purchasing definitions
- Category Management definitions
- The evolution of Category Management
- Category grouping overview
- The aspects to be considered in category groups
- Category Management structures
Maximizing Value and Procurement Excellence using Varied Routes
- The procurement excellence roadmap
- Why should we use Category Management in procurement
- Evolution of category management
- How category management improves value
- The outcomes to maximize value from procurement
Understanding the Supplier Sourcing and Selection Routes
- Traditional purchasing revisited
- Value and risk analysis
- The model in identifying inventory classification
- The Category management and value opportunities
- Best price evaluation
- Understanding collaborative supplier management
Recognizing and Overcoming the Barriers to Category Management
- Common barriers and challenges
- Overcoming such barriers
- Best Practice in the implementation of new ideas
- Managing price sensitive products
- Economic Order Quantity
- Criticality Analysis
Outbound Activities Aimed At Improving:
Category Management and Rethinking the Supply Chain
- Supply chain futures, predictions and what needs to done
- The improvements for re-engineering end to end supply chains
- Supply chain excellence and shareholder value
- The steps to supply chain excellence
- Developing the supply chain strategy
- Supply chain strategy best practice
The Introduction to Procurement and Category Management course is suitable for those in a junior procurement or supply chain role, as well as anyone who is new to the profession.
The course provides an excellent grounding in the fundamentals of the purchasing cycle and how each stage contributes to the effective management of the supply chain function.
- Face To Face
- Role playing
- Post session assessment
- Video presentation
- Case study